Auction winning email delayed

Forum to discuss issues specific to WP Auctions Pro Plus

Moderator: Hyder

Auction winning email delayed

Postby Projec53 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:09 am

Hi Hyder

I have just completed my first reverse auction successfully, using the modern display. The winner of my auction has received the auction winning confirmation email 30 minutes to 40 minutes after the auction closed.

Would it be possible to have the auction winning email sent to the winning bidder straight away after the end of the auction?

Kind regards
Matt
Projec53

Re: Auction winning email delayed

Postby Hyder » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:21 am

Usually it should, we get it right away on our test server. You might want to check with your hosting provider if they are delaying emails from your set up by any chance.
Hyder

Postby Projec53 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Hyder

As I receive any other notification email (outbid, wnning bid, watch email, etc) immediately (ie within 2 seconds), I do not think that the issue is related to my server.

I have tried it again twice today.

The first time, the result was the same. The auction winning email did not reach the auction winner before 44 minutes.
The second time, I received the winning email immediately. it is very hard to understand what goes on.

Could you please double check that this delay is not caused by a code error for reverse auctions?

Kind regards
Matt
Projec53

Postby Hyder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Sure, we'll look into that engine.
Hyder

Postby Owen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:35 am

Hi Matt,

The auction close event check is scheduled using a WordPress function called wp_schedule_event ( https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Re ... dule_event ). This allows us to schedule events tied in a manner that's harmonious with the Wordpress infrastructure we use for our plugin.

One aspect of the way WordPress implements this is is that it is tied to the usage on the time. In essence, when a page is called, there's a check to see if there are any scheduled events and these are performed before the page is rendered. We have found that, on occasion, if a site doesn't have any traffic for example, these take longer to be called than expected. This tends to happen if a site is being used purely for testing, there is no normal traffic to it, so scheduled events are delayed.

This is by design, but you won't have the same issue in production. Normal sites are subject to constant traffic, whether it's by users, search bots or other entities hitting the site. This ensures that events are executed as expected in normal operation.

Regards

Owen
Owen

Postby Projec53 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Owen

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. We do not have much traffic at the moment so that may explain the delay.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I may get back to you on that point when we have more traffic.

Kind regards
Matt
Projec53

Return to WP Auctions Pro Plus